Hi all =)
It’s summer here in Sicily and my in-laws gave me some fresh zucchini (bumper crop) from their garden. So wanting to use the zucchini but not wanting to spend too much time in the kitchen (our 4 month old needed mommy) I decided to let the oven prepare lunch =) So I walked to the butcher just a few minutes down the street from the my house and picked up some organic breakfast steaks….the butcher raises his own cows so the meat is fully organic, something still found here in the old world =) I then grabbed my veggies, including the huge zucchini, and layered away!
You will need:
– Sliced potatoes and zucchini (about 1-2 cups each)
– 4-5 THINLY sliced breakfast steaks
– Meat seasoning of your choice or salt and pepper
– 1 large jar of tomato sauce (If you would like to learn how to make your own, see my post THE BEST HOMEMADE CANNED TOMATO SAUCE)
– 4 to 6 garlic, smashed
– Marsala wine, about 1\3 cup (…Marsala is my cooking wine of choice, but you can use any wine you like =)
Here’s how you put it all together:
Place a little bit of olive oil or vegetable oil and lightly coat the dish. The add the sliced potatoes.
Next, add the seasoning, or salt and pepper, generously.
Evenly distribute the breakfast steaks on top of the potatoes and add some more seasoning or salt & pepper.
Then top with the zucchini.
Next, add the garlic and wine to your tomato sauce. Mix well and pour over the zucchini.
Add additional water to cover the zucchini and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C \ 350°F for about 40 minutes or until done.
When done, it will be moist and flavorful and the meat will be nice and tender =)